[TowerTalk] Ground rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground rods
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:04:23 -0800
I drove in 4 x 8'  copper clad steel grnd rods a few years back.
We used a rented electric jack hammer.  The trick is, for driving in
grnd rods, you require the special attachment piece, instead of the normal
asphalt blade/star bit etc.    The special attachment piece consisted of a
hollow
steel tube, thickwall,which was designed for the specific task of pounding in
grnd rods.

Below my lawn/soil, is hard clay.   The jackhammer drove the 8' rods ion very
easily.
The tops of all rods were driven in well below grnd level, then cad-welded.
We used 3
at the tower base....and a  4th one, 40' away, just outside the basement
window.
Compression lugs used on all 3 x tower legs.  2 ga cu wire used on the 3 x
tower legs.
A 40' length of bare 2ga cu wire was C clamped at tower end.... then ran just
below the soil,
to the 4th grnd rod, and cadwelded.   Then  2 ga insulated cu, from 4th grnd
rod to inside of
basement, where it terminates on a large  1/4"  thick, AL plate. [SPG]

Later........ Jim   VE7RF