Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: JoeCoolDXer <JoeCoolDXer@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:28:53 -0800
JoeCoolDXer wrote:
> It's interesting how certain requirements creep into specifications possibly
> just because it's possible to do them.
> Recognize if lightning gets into a home it seems to have no trouble traveling
> through screwed
> and friction (plug-in) connections, sharp bends, and ultimately zapping lots
> of stuff.
>
> If CADwelds and OneShots are important in ground rod connections, why then,
> for example, is it not also required
> to weld all those electrically unreliable bolted joints between tower
> sections...??
>
> Don N7EF

different sets of rule makers for one thing.

You don't have to have exothermic welds on grounding systems.  Listed
compression clamps will work (and I suspect a bolted connection for a
tower would too.. bolted connections work for structural steel grounding)

The rules on bending of lightning conductors are not because of the
impedance or inductance, (the inductance of a half turn 6" in diameter
is tiny, compared to the resistance of the conductor.. a whole turn is
only 0.3 uH, and a half turn is less than half.  The 9" of wire would
actually be about 0.1uH.)

It's because of mechanical forces from the magnetic field (which is
technically related to inductance).