[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Using aluminum wire [or aluminum clad wire]

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Using aluminum wire [or aluminum clad wire]
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 21:32:44 -0500
 The BIG problem with Al wires is that it is not elastic (unlike Cu). Them you
connect aluminum, whatever holds them together has to provide the springiness.
If you use so called barrel connectors equipped only with a screw, the Al wire
will creep and the connection will loosen up over time. That's why we had a lot
of house fires in the 50th caused by bad electric connectors. A Cu wire have
some of the same tendency but does not loos all the springiness over time. You
may sometimes see electric components like light switches with a "Not for Al
wires" stamped on them. There are connectors containing a small spring that can
provide needed pressure over time intended for Al wires.

A compression fitting will make the metal surfaces to merge or weld together,
forming a secure connection that will last over a long time.

Hans - N2JFS