Re: [TowerTalk] Whole house surge suppressor's.

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Whole house surge suppressor's.
From: AI4WM Bill <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 03:02:53 -0800 (PST)
Jim,
I agree with your statement about most consumer grade surge protectors.  Many
cannot handle arc flash and the tremendous amount of energy from a strike.
Then many that could are not installed to correctly dissipate what they should.

Where I live FPL supplies whole house protection at the meter for a small
monthly fee and they will pay for damage up to a given amount should their
protectors fail.

After working in commercial radio and seeing the protection used as well as
what PP&L used when I lived in PA I cringe at much of the chinese junk being
sold as protection. Also as a former fire fighter I am very surprised we did
not and do not see more fires caused by the cheap junk out there.

73,

Bill

AI4WM