Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: ground radial project

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: ground radial project
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:54:33 +0000
Jim,

Agreed!

If folk would look carefully at the Brown/Lewis/Epstein paper they would
see that it's not so different from Rudy Severn's work. Figure 30 in
their paper plots received field strength against number of radials for
a quarter-wave vertical radiator. Compared with the theoretical maximum,
these are the shortfalls they measured:

15 radials: -2dB
30 radials: -1.3dB
60 radials: -0.7dB
113 radials: -0.2dB

To me that doesn't look like a strong case for 120 radials in Amateur
Radio useage!

73,
Steve G3TXQ