Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for G5RV

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for G5RV
From: "Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk)" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 00:02:28 -0500
On 2/1/2011 9:55 PM, DGB wrote:
> But now I'm down in Fla., not my home qth of WI!
>
> Why are these getting thru and not my recent ones which was a response
> to K9YC which was and Roger may be able to answer?
Who knows?  Your ISP might be doing some maintenance, have a problem,
some one some where the stuff has to go through has a problem...
"Sometimes" you can do a tracert to see the route and the delays along
each section.
> is it acceptable to enclose it in a non-conductive enclosure, on a
> multiband antenna, say resonant on 160 or 80,  especially at high power
> (1500w)?
Usually.  The AV640 has a 4:1 balun AND a current balun enclosed in a
plastic box and I've run it well beyond the ratings.  They said 200-300
watts on six and I ran 800 to it for some months.
I ran the legal limit on CW and SSB to it and I tend to be long winded.
They only use two cores for each balun.
I'd think the same approach would work for the G5RV although I prefer to
see the enclosure have a bit more air flow.

"I think" which means I don't really know, that you might be more likely
to have voltage problems than heating unless running a LOT of power.
> in reponse to Jims comment
>
> You can roll your own for about $10 that will be FAR better than
> anything you can buy at any price. See Fig 48 and the Choke Cookbook in
> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf  Use the version of the choke
> would with bifilar turns of #12 THHN (ordinary house wire).

I'm using 5 or 6 cores with 5 or 6 turns of LMR-400 or Davis
Buryflex(TM) on current baluns in my systems so they are running more
like $40 each.  (6 and 6 for 160, 5 and 5 for 75-40,  5 and 5 for the
C19XR.  I'm planning on 4 by 4 for the 7L C3i on six. and probably 5 X 5
for the WARC 7 as well as the 40M3.  None of these are or will be
enclosed, but rather hang out in the elements as they consist of RG-8
size coax.

73

Roger (K8RI)