To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 98, Issue 26
From: "Michael W5NIG" <tower@coffeepower.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 17:18:08 -0600
From: "Glenn Thorne" <gathorne@traer.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing aid

I got the Safety LifeLine with my AN Wireless tower -
http://www.anwireless.com/lifeline.html. The sleeve that attaches to the
cable also attaches directly to the front of my harness - I use no lanyard.
The sleeve slides right along the cable with me as I climb.

It really reduces the time it takes to climb the tower compared to hooking
and unhooking two lanyards.  I feel much safer as the hooking and unhooking
is eliminated and there is little slack to take up if something happens.

73, Glenn/KD0Q
**Unquote**

   Hey Glenn!  The An wireless tower was my first choice when I was looking,
but
was out of my price range at the time.  (/cry)  ...Wound up going with a
Trylon
T-500 series, great wind loading just not quite as high as yours!   I made
my own
cable safety system for it (they sell a pricey rail system) using 1/4" angle
iron on
the top and bottom to attach to and using cable  that you would find on a
wrecker
truck that fit for my LadSaf devices. ....and it worked FB but
I had to put tennis balls on the cable in different places to keep it from
banging
against the tower in the wind.

Was looking at the picture that you posted the link for and find myself
scratching
my head on how that bottom section attaches, kind of weird looking!

What kind of stand-offs are those being used to hold it in place along the
tower?
How far off the tower is the cable at the top and at the bottom?

  Thanks,
  Michael de W5NIG
mailto:w5nig@w5nig.com
mailto:michael@coffeepower.net