Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp Type UHF/PL-259 Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp Type UHF/PL-259 Connectors
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:05:00 -0500
> agree) do work on both RG-213 and LMR400 but a "crimp" connector for
> RG-213
> will not work on LMR400.

Good observation, Ken and it's something I've struggled with since I began
using LMR400.  Also, the soldered clamp type UHF that I installed today
would not accommodate LMR400 until I routed-out the pin tip with a 7/64"
drill bit.

What's strange is that the inside pin diameter is plenty wide enough for
LMR400 but for some reason, the manufacturer narrowed the very tip of the
pin just enough to cause friction.  You can see what I'm referring to by
clicking on the Newark Electronics link I provided earlier.  It can be seen
in the product photo that the very end of the pin curves back in toward the
center.    Widening the pin in this case cause no harm as the bit really
does not make abrasive contact with the rest of the inside pin.  They should
have just left the inside pin diameter consistent like we're all accustomed
to with every other UHF/PL-259 male connector.

Paul, W9AC