[TowerTalk] Adding reflector to 40-m. vertical - Update

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adding reflector to 40-m. vertical - Update
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:20:57 EST
Hi Guys,

Thank You for the many replies... I appreciate it!

Update: Gene and another ham replied that I could simply add the  reflector
and NOT connect it to the driven element or the transmission  line.  Since
time is short before tonights CQWW-RTTY contest... that's the  installation
method I used.  The spacing probably isn't  optimum as I had to mount the
reflector 35' behind the driven  element.  (it's on a dock and that's the only
available mounting  place).  But the reflector is  SW of the DE so at least
the 2-element  vertical should be beaming NE (Europe) which was my goal.
I expected SWR to change with this setup but that was no  change in SWR.
Perhaps my reflector is too long at 35'6" ... do  you think I should shorten
the reflector or leave it as-is?

I'll post a reply tomorrow and let you know if I noticed any  difference in
Gain or F/B.

73,
Dick- K9OM/4

Dick -

If "easy"is important, it might be easier to just put up a  parasitiec
reflector.  Resonate at 6.7-6.8 MHZ  and place about 25  feet behind your
present vertical.  It will affect your SWR but if your  Xmtr will tune ok
and
your feed line isn't too long ( lossy) you should be  good to go. Without a
lot of fuss your gain and f/b should be about the same  as driven two
element.

Gene