Re: [TowerTalk] old TowTec electric winch

To: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>, "Jim Spears" <n1nk@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] old TowTec electric winch
From: "F.R. Ashley" <gdadx2@clearwire.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:37:20 -0500

>> Anybody remember these winches?  They were somewhat popular maybe 15
>> years
>> ago but went out of production.

Yes, and I still have one on my Hygain crank up.

>> As a result, I have a winch consisting of the gear train and yellow
>> plastic
>> cover less the motor.  Does anyone have a suitable motor or can help me
>> design a motor assembly?  As I recall, it was a reversible 120 vac motor
>> with a gear welded or brazed onto the motor output shaft.  And as I
>> recall,
>> the motor was held in the unit by stainless steel hose clamps, nothing
>> complex or custom made.

Exactly right.  The gear welded onto the motor shaft on mine stripped, so I
just moved the entire motor assembly to the left about 1/2 inch so the gear
hits the good part, but they are quite rusted.
I will be laying my tower over in a month or so to replace the cables and
switch rotors, and might just take the TowTec off and replace it with the
K2550 hand winch and use a strong drill, as others have suggested.  My
TowTec is a very rusty and needs replacing.  If I decide to go that route,
I'll happily give you the motor, which works fine.  Or if you decide to get
rid of your parts, I'll take them, hi hi.

>> As I get older, the tower ups and downs don't get any easier and I would
>> like to address this before it becomes a real problem.  The alternative
>> is
>> new US Tower MD-75 unit at roughly 1.5 kilobucks or equivalent from
>> TashTowers.

I also called US Towers and I was told they do not sell winches, but "motor
drives".

73 Buddy WB4M