Re: [TowerTalk] When to RETIRE from climbing?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] When to RETIRE from climbing?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:22:07 -0400
On 3/18/2011 4:15 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> I've decide the price-performance-safety-no sweat of rental boom lifts
> (e.g. Genie lift, JLG Lift) are a winner.

As you go up in height is soon becomes favorable to hire a crew for the
day and you'll save money.
Once you get much beyond 50 feet those things get expensive. One that
would just nicely let me reach the top of my 100' 45G was over $1100 per
day (cheapest price I found and I had to pay travel for delivery and
pickup)  and I've had the training to run one. I also have the insurance
that is still in effect and a full body harness that is still current.
Also you need a lift that will go well beyond the height you need or you
will be working with the lift near vertical which requires tiny and
careful control inputs and leaves you feeling very insecure.

>   Around here 40 footers go for
> about $220 a day plus $50 for the round trip delivery/pickup.  That size
> works for crankups to the top of the mast.  They are available to 105'
> and I've rented  40' to 85' to put beams on towers and antenna
> attachments into trees.

Last summer an 80 footer was $500 to $600 a day around here and the
round trip pick up and delivery was $150 to $250 .  The highest prices
were local, required current training, and would not rent to "the man on
the street".
I qualified but the prices were too steep. I could hire a crane with
extension and operator for less than I could hire a 115' lift.

 From the safety and cost approach it was by far cheaper to hire a
qualified climber with helper for the day.

73

Roger (K8RI)