Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Radials?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Radials?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:48:17 -0400
On 3/23/2011 4:42 PM, Gene Fuller wrote:
> What ever happened to the old - use a little steel wool (I realize a no-no
> for many), wipe clean - i.e no steel left behincd, Penatrox, wire clamp.
> I've used this for decades with no problems. All above ground so it's easy
> to see if it needs to be refreshed.

It depends on your soil.  Here a clamp that comes in contact  with the
soil will be loose with in a year or two.  I heeded to connect a #2
ground wire to and existing run and used on the the standard ground rod
clamps.  That thing was a tight as I could get it with wrenches. It was
actually flattening the cables, yet a year later you could slide the
clamp up and down the wires.
  That resulted in having to cut the wires, clean them, then etch before
brazing them together. Clamps to ground rods are the same. If they are
not "bonded" together the clamps will be loose in a year. I found the
house electrical ground installed by the contractor did the dame thing
to both of those ground rods.
   If OTOH the rod sticks out of the ground , the clamps appear to last
a very long time.

I assume that a thorough weather proofing would prevent the loosening.

73

Roger (K8RI)