Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:00:53 -0700
On 3/25/2011 6:08 AM, Larry Libsch wrote:
> I must be misunderstanding  something . How do I attach my
> coax shield to the outside common point and also attach it to my radio
> inside the shack?

Since I wrote the grounding chapter for Steve's book, I'll attempt to
clarify.

One ancient and accepted method of accomplishing this is often called a
"ground window," where coax cables go through lightning arrestors
(Polyphaser, ICE, etc.)  that are bonded to a conductive plate (usually
copper) where they enter the building, and that plate is bonded to the
ground system.  The coax from the antenna has a PL259 that screws to the
arrestor on the outside of the wall and a coax jumper with PL259s on
both ends goes between the arrestor and the radio.

Several brands of arrestors are sold in "feed-through" form, so that the
plate can be installed in a wall (or an actual window). There's nothing
magic about the feedthrough arrangement, it's just a mechanically neat
way to do it.

The MOST critical part of all of this is the bonding together of ALL
grounds associated with your home and shack -- power service entrance,
shack, CATV, telco, other lightning arrestors, building structure, all
ground rods, etc.

73, Jim Brown K9YC