Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 16:01:02 -0400
Pete:

     Electrically the method you describe is identical to mine and to
commercial shield grounding kits.  However, mechanically your method uses a
barrel connector plus two more PL-259s than the shield-only ground method,
which can introduce additional points of failure in the coax subsystem.

     The bulkhead method could be used at the base of the tower where you're
likely to have connectors anyway, like where you might connect the coax to
Polyphasers protruding from a steel enclosure.  Connecting to these
Polyphasers would provide the shield grounding we seek.  However, at the top
of the tower it might be easier just to cut away the coax jacket and install
the ground connector kit and weatherproofing material.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F