[TowerTalk] New County Ordinance on "Wireless Towers"

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New County Ordinance on "Wireless Towers"
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 16:26:45 -0400
Once in a long while the quirky gods that control local government toss
us a bone.  This is a newly-added section of the Jefferson County, West
Virginia Zoning Ordinance:

"Section 4B.3 Exempt Facilities Allowed by Right

This section covers antennas other than those associated with commercial
wireless
telecommunication facilities, such as facilities associated with
governmental users,
television and radio broadcast facilities, and private business users
requiring an antenna
support structure of twelve feet or less. Antennas allowed by right
subject to special
requirements of this section include:

A. Amateur radio facilities mounted on supporting structures less than
100 feet in
height provided however, that commercial wireless providers and private
business
users may not co-locate antennas on an amateur radio tower irrespective
of its
height..."

The only "special requirements of this section" that apply relate solely
to prohibiting co-location of commercial antennas on amateur towers.

I wish I could take credit for it, but this language was developed by
our county planners last summer when I pointed out a need to make it
clear that amateur radio towers and antennas should not be subject to
the same restrictions imposed on commercial wireless towers and
antennas.  All I had to do was look at their draft, gulp, grin to
myself, say "that looks fine to me," and hope nobody objected in the
public hearings.  Nobody did.  --

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily atwww.conteststations.com
The Reverse Beacon Network athttp://reversebeacon.net, blog at