Re: [TowerTalk] slightly OT - Wattmeter suggestion?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] slightly OT - Wattmeter suggestion?
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:01:03 -0400
Charlie:  I have an old Alpha 78 on the bench.  It retains the original
tubes and has seen many a contest over the years.  Puts out 90%+ of what
it would do with new tubes, and I have never ever tuned it using a peak
reading wattmeter.  I usually keep a Drake W4 in line and I tune for
maximum output when I need to tune it....which is rare.  I keep a cheat
sheet on the amps with the tune and load cap settings on it, one set for
cw and one for ssb.  In the heat of battle it is a 5 second band change
and maybe maybe a 2 second tweak if the wattmeter says I need to.
(assuming I am not using the passband settings).  73 bob de w9ge