[TowerTalk] Water in the conduit - a different idea

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Water in the conduit - a different idea
From: "Clint Talmadge W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:51:42 -0500
I am about to add a couple of antennas and the idea of burying conduit for
the coax and control cables came up again.  The stories of water collecting
made me think of how to avoid this.  What if I were to add a small fan to
the box to which I am going to hang on the outside wall of the shack to
which I am going to connect the conduit?  This fan would pressurize the
ambient air which should eliminate any standing water in the system.  A
small shroud to keep out the direct rain should be sufficient.  Small
screened weep holes in the boxes at the tower base and the box for the
phasing network for the verticals would allow any moisture in the
pressurized air to escape.  The fan, being outside should not cause any
objectionable noise.  I am thinking of something along the lines of a larger
muffin fan which will run off house power fed out through the conduit
installed through the wall.

I have tried to come up with any negatives, but have not (yet).  Any ideas,
positive or negative on this plan?

Clint - W5CPT - West Kentucky