Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guy Question

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guy Question
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:36:33 -0400
Yes he does, and one which I've mentioned here in the past. I think that
the more important feature of a pier pin base is the tilt freedom to
keep the downward force on the legs equalized, rather than rotational
freedom, but that depends on the circumstances.

One relatively easy way to improve the system is to place a large nut or
washer(s) over the pier pin but under the base plate to raise the plate
off the concrete and to provide somewhat of a ball bearing to pivot on
(in all axis).

Except that the Rohn base plate isn't strong enough to do that (except
on a short tower maybe), so another, thicker plate should be inserted
under the standard base plate to give the necessary stiffness.

And I would also provide another plate under the nut to spread the force
over a larger section of concrete.

-Steve K8LX