Re: [TowerTalk] zapped with my dipole. OUCH!

To: Rex Lint <rex@lint.mv.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] zapped with my dipole. OUCH!
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 19:04:26 -0700
Good question.

I should have said "carbon comp" instead of "non-inductive".   Carbon
film and metal film resistors will degrade/fail with high surge
currents.  Carbon composition resistors have a higher pulse current
capacity.

An inductive resistor might have an undesired Z at a frequency of
interest, certainly possible with wire wounds.  If you can characterize
the Z vs frequency, and it doesn't impact the transmission line, then it
might be ok.  Since wire wound resistors are available only to a few
hundred K ohms, this may be academic.

All resistors have voltage ratings, so that is another factor in
selection.  Perhaps another Tower-Talkian can weigh in on that issue re
carbon comps.

The value of the resistor should be within its wattage rating for the
maximum transmitted voltage on the feedline, including whatever
allowance for SWR.  Obviously, a lower value will have a lower voltage
drop for a given static charge current level.

Grant KZ1W