[TowerTalk] What next, was Re: Why radials improve radiation!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] What next, was Re: Why radials improve radiation!
From: Charlie@thegallos.com
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 10:58:24 -0400
...snip...
> I think that's where some of the "you have to do X" kind of advice comes
> from.  Someone who's already done everything else is looking for small
> incremental changes.
>
> And, take a typical suburban installation: a 100 W transceiver with a
> inconspicuous vertical in the back yard, and maybe a dipole strung along
> the fence or among the trees; there's SO many aspects that "could be
> improved" that the ham is faced with a lot of conflicting advice.  Do
> you spend time laying radials? Or raise the antenna? or put in elevated
> radials? Or put a tuner at the base? Or just buy an amp?
>
> In some ways, that's part of the fun; it's also part of the frustration.
...snip...

OK, so far I'm VERY VERY happy with what I've just installed, and I'm
hearing things I've never heard - the question is, what's next

I just installed about the largest tribander I can fit (C3SS) and a rotary
dipole for 40m (can't fit a 2 element beam) - installed with Burryflex,
via a MFJ 4 channel antenna switch - a AT-1000 auto tuner (need it for the
40, plus 12 and 17), I still have my SB-230 amp, but there is an Alpha
sitting on the shelf (yeah, I have to keep it turned down ;) ), and a MkV
field

I don't know WHAT to do for 80m - I'm VERY lot limited, so I have the
small TV Evans 17-80m dipole up there, and that's about the max length I
have (it's at about 33 ft - top of a 33ft mast, and the Glen martin
rooftop tower)

So, what would you do next, besides "get on the air" - doing that BIG
time, to the tune of 10 or 11 all time new ones in 13 days, and another 19
bandfills?

What ideas do you have for 80m?  Maybe trying to load the 33ft mast?
Maybe some sort of inverted L?

The BIG one (besides getting the alpha inline - which so far, actually
hasn't been a rush - as I've worked everything I've heard without too much
work) is gonna be getting MY CW useable.  I made the mistake of learning
the code, then being scared of getting on the air, so never use it, and
now being so rusty...

But, anyone have any other ideas for shack improvement?

73 de KG2V