Re: [TowerTalk] 160M

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160M
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:09:55 -0700
On 6/4/2011 12:37 PM, jsloss wrote:
> What type of 160m performance, if any, am I likely to get if I tie the shack
> end of open wire feeders together, that go to a 80m dipole up 55',  and feed
> it against ground.

You're very likely to have a lot of fun on 160M.  I've used EXACTLY that
antenna, with great success both here in Nor Cal and back in Chicago.

One important caveat though -- you don't want to feed it against the
EARTH, you want to feed it against some sort of counterpoise that acts
as the other half of the antenna, like radials, whatever wire you can
string out, etc.  Back in Chicago I used a big wrought iron fence that
ran around the front of my city lot. Here in Nor Cal I had room for
radials, so that's what I used. My buddy, KK9H, uses the HVAC ducts in
his wood frame suburban house. He ain't loud, but we've worked several
times from Nor Cal to Chicago.

Note that having fun on 160M also means a good RX antenna. Study the
literature for various RX loops and Beverages. The ON4UN book and the
ARRL Antenna Book.

73, Jim K9YC