Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's

To: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:42:30 -0400
On 2011-06-21, at 5:18 PM, K8RI on TT wrote:

> On 6/21/2011 4:11 PM, Gene Fuller wrote:
>> Any comments on packing PL-259''s with silicon grease to help keep water out
>> ?

Hi Gene,

All I've ever done here---and so far, so good, as they say!---is smear a TINY
bit of Vaseline-brand petroleum jelly on the PL-259 prong, & on the threads of
the mating SO-239 connector. I then tighten the two together, & wipe-off any
excess Vaseline that might have oozed out...

I next apply a VERY liberal coating of clear silicone sealant all around the
plug, the connector, and up the coax cable past the plug for about 2"-3".

Later, whenever I might want to disconnect the two, it's a very simple matter
to slit the silicone sealant down its length with an X-acxto knife, & peel it
off...and the Vaseline ensures against oxidation of the electrical connection
inside, betwixt the two.

Cheap, simple, AND effective---for me, at any rate!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ