Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-EX W51 Questions....

To: towertalk@contesting.com, N2len@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-EX W51 Questions....
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 13:55:36 -0700 (PDT)
Len:

I've had a W51 since 1992, bought it direct from TriEx when they were still in
business and Karl Tashjian was their chief engineer.  Karl now owns Tashjian
Towers and manufactures most of the old TriEx designs.

I've since replaced the original Fulton 1500 winch with another because the
brake pads were disintegrating and I could not get the winch apart to replace
them. Have since bought a 2550, but haven't installed it yet.

I called TriEx after I got my tower up and they said the W51 was never designed
for an electric winch, although I've heard of folks doing it.

When it came time to put up my tower we used the "hinge method".  This is where
you put one set of bolts on the bottom of the "triangle" base.  Then we
attached a large piece of rope to the unhinged side and several hams pulled on
it while several others helped me just walk the W51 upright.  I had someone on
the base ready to slip in a bolt as soon as the top was upright. Once it was
initially secured, we just slipped in the other bolts and the tower was up, at
least in its collapsed position.

Then we installed the winch, etc.  Oh yes, another thing we did was to put the
rotor and mast in the W51 top before we manhandled the thing upright.  A lot
easier than trying to do it in the air......

I also made my base a bit larger than what the specs called for 4x4x6 just to
give it a little more strength and weigh.  I used what the concrete folks
called "six sack mix" or they same consistency as what they use on interstate
highway bridges the concrete folks said.

I hired a professional concrete person for the base just so there weren't any
problems and in the nearly 20 years since, I haven't had a single problem.

Also let your base cure about a month before you put the tower on it and wet it
down daily with a gentle sprinking of water on the top to help it cure a bit
more evenly and slowly.  The heat generated by curing concrete can cause cracks
if you let it cure too fast, such as putting it up in real hot weather.

73 de
Tom, WW5L