[TowerTalk] Fwd: Self-supported tower designs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Self-supported tower designs
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:25:19 -0400 (EDT)

Maximo,

You contact a local tower manufacturer or e.g Universal Tower and buy ready
 made sections. First: You don't use pipes, like water-, but tubes for a
tower.  Second: I don't recommend you dimensioning a tower from scratch unless
you have  experience in structural design.

I am in the process of putting up a tower right now and have gone through
all the calculations, just to make sure everything was right (I don't use a
"standard" set-up). After I did that I realized how close I was to erect a
disaster. I was thinking of using a "friend" to make a few of the supports.
 Well, I didn't and am very, very happy about that.

Again, check out manufacturer of towers and select what you need from
there. Don't even attempt to use e.g. water pipes for your tower. They are not
design for structural use and you will have no idea what you are putting up
nor  if/when it will come down.

It is not that pricey to buy a tower and especially in view of what you
could end up with if you try to make a "cheapy".

Good luck with your tower project. I will send in a link to picture of my
tower project once there is something to show.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS/SM6BXX

In a message dated 7/14/2011 3:39:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,