Re: [TowerTalk] ICE 419B schematic

To: "'James C. Hall, MD'" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ICE 419B schematic
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:51:25 +0000
I doubt that its strictly a voltage rating problem, though that is the most
conspicuous rating on capacitors.  More important is probably the current
rating, though that isn't always available for capacitors.  Where possible I
chose rf rated capacitors, take a look at two 270pf 1000v rated mica
capacitors that come up in digikey's search:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=338-3104-ND
And
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=338-3143-ND

If you look down under 'Features' in the bottom table you can see that the
first one is an RF rated one and the other one is General Purpose.
Otherwise they look almost identical except for price... Why the rf rated
one is cheaper is a good question, maybe volume of sales helps??  If you dig
deaper and look at the detailed spec sheets you will see:

http://www.cde.com/catalogs/CD-CDV16.pdf
Vs
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/STD-DIPPED.pdf

Obviously the data sheet for the std-dipped version is short on detail, the
one matching spec besides voltage and capacitance is the dv/dt capability,
which is related to current handling ability.  For the standard one is it
quoted as 100kv/us but for the rf rated one it is 275kv/us... Its more
interesting to look at the detail in the rf rated one, they have obviously
been tested with rf applications in mind.

While those dv/dt values may seem to be more than adequate consider this...
At 100vACp-p, not out of the question at 100w, especially in a filter or
with a mismatched antenna, at 1mhz the peak to peak transition occurs in
.5us giving 200v/us on the back of an envelope (actually a digikey order
receipt)... Up that to 10mhz and it goes up to 2kv/us, at 30mhz that becomes
6kv/us, up the mismatch and add circulating currents in the filter and I
could easily see 60kv/us at 1000vACp-p.. Someone can probably plug in a
simple filter like the 419 series uses into spice and see what the currents
really come out to in a worst case.... I wonder what happens if you
accidentaly put 100w into one with no antenna connected?

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net