Re: [TowerTalk] pull lubricant -- follow-up (installing Heliax connector

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pull lubricant -- follow-up (installing Heliax connectors)
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:09:49 -0400
On 7/25/2011 11:45 PM, Dick Green WC1M wrote:

> The biggest challenges were putting Ring Flare connectors on the LDF4-50 and
> dealing with near-100 degree temp and near 100% humidity last Wednesday.

<snip>

> We decided to temporarily install connectors on the cables and test them
> prior to the pull. This took a lot longer than anticipated. The RG-331/U
> connectors were easy to put on because the solid aluminum outer conductor
> requires virtually no prep. But I found that the 1/2" LDF4-50 heliax is much
> harder to prep than the larger sizes I've used. We needed a vice and a
> sharp, fine hacksaw blade. The heat and humidity didn't make the job any
> easier. It took a long time to put on the connectors and test the cables
> with a transceiver, a dummy load and a Bird wattmeter (we took a lot of
> hydration breaks.). Both runs tested very close to specs as far as loss was
> concerned.

Dick,

If you ever anticipate installing L4 (1/2") connectors again, do
yourself a favor and buy an Andrew Easiax tool. It's just a clamp type
manual prep tool with internal razor blades that cuts the shield right
on top of a peak and cuts the jacket at the same time. We install
thousands of these connectors (usually over 100 on one cell site as we
build it) and once you get rolling it takes 4 or 5 minutes per connector
max.

The tool runs $15 or $20.

-Steve K8LX