Re: [TowerTalk] Fabricated common mode chokes and their impedances

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fabricated common mode chokes and their impedances
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:52:02 -0400
On 8/29/2011 4:34 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
>> Right now I'm using Davis BuryFlex, but would like
>> to try RG8X on 40 (foil plus braid) as it's very flexible, light, and
>> has low wind resistance. The voltages are too high for 8X and CNT240 on
>> 75 and 160 at the band edges..
> Someone posted on here once that the foil and braid isn't a good idea as
> they move around and don't make consistant contact.  73
> Tom W7WHY
Both the LMR and CNT series of cables are foil plus braid for shields.
"Theoretically" the poor contact makes sense, but in practice I've never
had a problem with quality "foil plus braid". You do have to be careful
of Aluminum braid over foil when making connections (You score the
jacket and then break it rather than cutting it). All of these cables
require water proof connections.  Get water in the foil and shield area
and it will rapidly turn into a problem.    I like the additional
shielding of quality "foil plus braid" over plain braid

The CNT240 was difficult to work with due to the fragile braid over the
foil.  The wires were easily broken. Once up the coax only lasted about
5 or 6 months before it broke.   It has a solid and very rigid center
conductor that is easily broken. The CNT 240 worked great until it broke.

73

Roger (K8RI)