Re: [TowerTalk] Painting Guy Wires?

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Painting Guy Wires?
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:22:53 +0000
My feeling is that if the wire is rusted enough that you are worried about
painting it then it should probably be replaced.  I would say that any kind
of coating that covers rust would likely prevent moisture from getting out
of the center, maybe causing faster degradation.

Fwiw after almost 25 years I had some 1/4" ehs replaced that was showing
signs of surface rust to the point it was getting rough to the hand.  After
replacement I pulled a couple of chunks and took them apart and down inside
they were solid, it was just on the outside surface of the strands that
there was rust... And all the deadends I took apart for inspection looked
almost like new inside.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net