Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing insert overlap...

To: k0rc@citlink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing insert overlap...
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:12:22 -0700
2.0 od into a 2.5 od with a nice slip fit means the 2.5 tube has 1/4
wall thickness!  If these are your parts (it seems unlikely), you need a
.25 wall 2" od internal splice tube.  0.058 wall isn't anywhere near
strong enough to splice 1/4" wall tube.  If it really is 1/4" wall then
buy a 2" fiberglass rod (McMaster) for internal reinforcement and sleeve
the outside with 2.75" od by .120 wall.  DX Eng can supply this tube.
On-Line metals might have it.

Regarding overlap, 4" would be about minimum each side, so you can bolt
at 2" and 3" from the splice at 90 deg angles, with 1/4" SS bolts.

Since the antenna has failed once, you might consider buying "yagi
mech"  stress analysis from DX Eng and checking all of the design for
wind load and reinforce as needed.  It is pretty easy to use and can do
the calcs for sleeved sections, it assumes they are a snug slip fit as
is the case with 0.058 and 0.120 wall thickness tube.  FWIW 0.62" and
0.125" wall tubing usually won't telescope, unless the larger size has
the 0.058 or 0.120 wall.

Grant KZ1W