Re: [TowerTalk] Augment?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Augment?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:14:26 -0400
On 9/12/2011 1:49 PM, Warrenwolff wrote:
>   Greetings T-Talkers,
>
> Unbelievable.  The folks are out there working on my tower foundation
> at this very moment.  Included in the worker-crew is a fellow who has done
> a number of comm tower installations.
>
> He is saying I should consider adding something called Bentonite to
> my trenches and rod "holes" to help out this rocky/gravely earth - -
> certainly no top soil here.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Bentonite is actually a family of clay like materials.  Some of it will
cause sand grains to bind to each other which is very useful in this
case.  It's also used as a filler around well casings and to even seal
old wells, but IIRC most forms are quite conductive and when you have a
soil that is dry and stony/gravel it serves two purposes.  It gives good
contact between the ground rods and cables to the surrounding earth. If
a large enough mass  of Bentonite is used it can serve as an additional
ground.

BTW if you have a bunch of concrete to get rid of and no dynamite...or
permit... Sodium Bentonite expands 2 to 3 times its volume when wet and
is powerful enough to shatter concrete. It makes a good, safe, less
noisy way (if less fun) to break up large chunks of concrete left over
from guy anchor posts and tower bases.

73

Roger (K8RI)