Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Antennas

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Antennas
From: "David J. Sourdis - HK1A" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 20:44:42 -0500
My knowledge on this relies on W2PV's "Yagi Antenna Design" book:The elements
may, or not, be electrically connected to the boom by, i.e., U "muffler
clamps". If the metallic clamp system separates the element from the plate,
there is practically no correction for the element length. If there is direct
contact with the plates, I think there was a rule of thumb correction, to avoid
converting the plate dimensions to an equivalent round conductor section,
lengthening the element tips by some amount related to a small percentage of
the sum of the plate dimensions.
This was before antenna simulation software was available for everyone and it
might have changed. If so, let me (us) know.

David
HK1A
EC5KXA
AE5XQ