Re: [TowerTalk] shipping large, heavy object

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shipping large, heavy object
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:27:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Vince K4JC
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shipping large, heavy object
>
> I also recommend trying www.uship.com. I have used them
> before with good
> results. Shippers bid against each other to give you the
> lowest price, but
> you're not obligated to accept any of the offers. You can
> also name a
> (reasonable) price and see if anyone accepts it. Sometimes
> the shippers
> aren't "conventional" LTL outfits. You may find an enclosed
> car hauler,
> moving truck, or others who will transport cargo to just
> fill out a load or
> so they don't have to go home empty.
>
> 73, Vince K4JC

> From: Mickey N4MB
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shipping large, heavy object
>
> After you get it strapped/packed for shipping and have
> correct dimensions
> and weight, post it on uship.com. Be patient and you may
> find and
> independent trucker or individual who will do it for a
> bargain price, or the
> freight companies that respond will give you their prices
> right up front.
>
> Good luck!
>
> 73,
>
> Mickey N4MB

Ditto.  When I made a deal to buy my TX-472 from John WO6R, I originally tried
to use the sole shipping broker that UST uses.  They initially gave me a bid of
$1200 to ship it approximately 1K miles from Porterville, CA to Everett, WA.
Then, after they dragged their feet nearly two weeks to find a hauler, they
finally came back to me with, "it's illegal to deliver to a residential
address".  They suggested it be dropped off in the middle of a busy street
nearby, and I pick it up from there.  Yes, really!  John WO6R was given a
different story, that it was an insurance problem.  Right.  I listed it on
uship.com and got a few bids.  I finally went with Bill Cribbins (aka Tiger
Transport), who underbid the other guys and had no issues with delivering to a
residence.  Bill is semi-retired and hauls only "interesting loads" on a closed
bed car trailer.  He's based in Montrose, CO.  I recommend him highly.  If
someone wants his contact info, email me off-list
 at bswadenerCLOTHES-at-yahoo-dot-com (remove "CLOTHES" when emailing).

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC