Re: [TowerTalk] Best grease for bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best grease for bearings
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 18:30:28 -0400
On 10/9/2011 3:57 PM, jcjacobsen@q.com wrote:
> How do,
>
> A quick search thru the Hy-Gain catalog turns up a Low Temp grease for the
> bearings in their rotors. It's rather spend-y though. On the other hand, I
> got a 1oz container YEARS ago and still have some left. You don't need much.
> AND as others have said, the TB-3 is NOT supposed to be lubricated. Besides,
> unless you have it off the tower you can't lube it anyway.

Not only off, you have to disassemble the darn thing which involves
taking that setscrew out and then working all the bearings out of the
hole so you can get the races apart. <:-))

I would think greasing the thrust bearing would be like lubing bolt
threads. It takes much less torque to exert the sane linear pull. So in
the case of a thrust bearing using steel balls running in an Aluminum
race, I'd think a given side force (or vertical load for that matter)
would present more contact load between the bearings and race.

Maybe we have a mechanical engineer on here who could expand on that
line of thought?

73

Roger (K8RI)