Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower parts

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower parts
From: "Tommy Alderman" <aldermant@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 20:07:04 -0400
I don't know for sure but when I was purchasing my 45G last summer, I am
pretty sure the tower itself was manufactured by Rohn. However, be very
careful when buying other parts for the tower. Rohn turn-buckles cost about
$40, but you can buy them from Texas and from another dealer in New Jersey
for $9 each! Realizing we don't get anything for nothing, I asked the other
two dealers where they bought their turnbuckles; one said 'off-shore' and
the other said 'China'. The 'off-shore' salesman said he did not know if
they were tested for strength; the 'China' salesman (at least an honest
person) said "No, there were no test documented". I decided it was in my
best interest to pay the $40 per turnbuckle!

The bottom line is be very sure to ask where the parts you buy, are
manufactured. Then ask them if they will put that information in writing.
After all it is your hard earned money that will be wasted if you have a
tower failure. Just my opinion.

Good luck and 73,
Tom - W4BQF