Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing thread

To: w8zn@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing thread
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:30:56 -0400
BTW - you realize that that bearing is NOT a thrust bearing, and is NOT really
rated for axial loads - BEST case (using a grub screw type on an unhardend
shaft), that bearing is rated for 20% of it's radial load

THRUST bearings are generally a tapered roller bearing, OR a T shaped solid
bearing (if they need to handle both radial and axial loads) and like a washer
if they ONLY need to handle axial loads.

My whole thought in starting the thread was not for a CHEAPER way (there are
always cheap ways to do things), but a better way "How can we make a bearing
for ham use that will NEVER fail, NEVER need maintenance" ( where 'Never' is
defined as the life of the antenna system)

I do NOT know how my Yaesu trust bearing is build, abut the way the 'stiction'
felt when it was on the ground, it felt greased, but it IS possible it's one of
the bearing plastics

I don't know about you, but personally, I'm old, fat, and can't climb any more
- my thoughts in life is "once something is up in the air, I hope it never ever
has to be serviced" - so I don't look for bearings with grease fittings - I
want a bearing that will never need to be maintained.  I KNOW what kind of
loads things like rulon can take - hint, they stick it in the bedways of lathes
and mills, where the thrustload of 40-50 HP (on a big mill) is transmitted to
the bed via that 'plastic", and it works as well as the classic cast iron on
cast iron worked

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)