[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Protection

To: towertalk reflector <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Protection
From: Dan Hearn <n5ardxcc@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 19:58:39 -0700
When my 131 ft UST crankup arrived it had a 2 7/8 chrome moly mast with a
nice top bearing. The bearing has a zerk fitting and I was concerned that
water would stand in the top of the bearing. In order to prevent that I
picked up a rubber feeding bowl at a local farm store. As I recall it was
about 8 inches or so in diameter and possibly 4 inches deep. I cut a hole in
the center which would pass the mast but was a tight fit. This can be lifted
up and will stay gripped to the mast when I want to grease the bearing.
  Unfortunately I was not wise enough to do this before the mast was
inserted into the tower so I cut a slit from the center to the outside of
the bowl and was able to twist the bowl to slip it onto the mast. I had
installed a strip of aluminum where the cut was made held with some screws.
Possibly one could use silicone rubber cement to seal the cut or something
else. It has been up for 10 years with no problems

--
Dan Hearn
N5AR