[TowerTalk] Utility Pull Rope

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Utility Pull Rope
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:10:33 -0800
I was talking to a local person this evening who has a tower that
appears to be Rohn 25 guyed with 1/2 wide flat utility pull rope. He
mentioned that the tensile strength of this rope was 2500lbs, but in
almost the same breath he mentioned that one of the ropes broke in a
recent windstorm and that they have been up for 6 1/2 years. It occurred
to me that UV resistance is probably not a requirement for this sort of
rope since it doesn't need to sit in the sun for long periods of time in
the intended application. I might have occasion to climb this tower in a
few weeks, so I am thinking might need to replace these ropes with
something more reliable. Anyone have experience with this sort of rope?

Thanks,

Mike W4EF...........