Re: [TowerTalk] STAINLESS STEEL BOLT AND ALUMINIUM ROTATOR CASINGPROBLEM

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] STAINLESS STEEL BOLT AND ALUMINIUM ROTATOR CASINGPROBLEM
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:25:21 +0000

>On 11/14/2011 1:49 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
>> There is tremendous corrosion to aluminum when in contact with stainless
>> steel and salt spray.  As much as I like stainless steel hardware, I would
>> still avoid using it in aluminum threads if you're in a corrosive
>> environment.
>>
>> John P40A
>>

>I had heard the same thing.  Stainless seems OK in aluminum under
>ordinary conditions, but the Navy has a "salt spray" test that
>this combination fails.
>
>Rick N6RK

One solution is to fix stainless studs into the threaded holes, using a
permanent thread-locking compound. The studs pass clear through the
holes in the lower part of the rotator shell and can be secured from
below by stainless nyloc nuts, which can always be easily removed.

As well as fixing the studs into the threaded holes, the locking
compound permanently seals the aluminum/stainless thread interface and
protects it from any further corrosion.

One final point: this modification is easiest, and works the best, if
it's done *before* the aluminum threads have become seriously damaged.
Otherwise you're into re-threading the holes to a larger size, which
then brings further problems about clearances.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek