Re: [TowerTalk] verticlas used on multiple bands fed with a tuner

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] verticlas used on multiple bands fed with a tuner
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 06:53:53 -0600
Very fine, gents.  Thanks.  Much appreciated.  More information:

I will be taking a vacation to Belize and will be there for the CQWW CW
contest.  I will take a 100W radio with an external tuner.  I will have two
40 foot spiderbeam telescoping fiberglass poles I will be able to attach to
piers over the calm ocean, and I would like to be able to make QSOs on all
bands.  I should have no problem laying out maybe two radials for each band,
thinking something like 12 radials everywhere from a quarter wave on 160m to
a quarter wave on 10m.  The longer radials might need to get folded around
or use other creative ideas.

I can make two antennas - or alternatively I can run different wires for
different bands up the same pole as long as they are chosen to not
particularly interact, and run separate feedlines.  I will be using RG6 75
ohm coax.

I can smoketest them here at N5OT but not with the salt water component.

The tuner's specifications say it will tune 4 to 800 ohm loads.

I hope this helps focus the brainstorming.

Quick dumb question - This magic 43 foot vertical: That's just 43 feet of
vertical radiator fed against a ground system?  Any additional loading?  I
never paid attention to that conversation before.  Bad me.

73 - Mark N5OT