Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran As Strong As They Claim?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wewill747@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran As Strong As They Claim?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:07:56 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/19/2011 12:01:01 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I used 1200I Philliystran for a small dipole pole  support.  The end of
the
Philliystran was terminated, per their  directions, using one of their
termination kits (4 cable clamps and a  thimble).  When I was done, the
termination looked just like one of  their pictures.

>  I recently took the dipole down and  unscrewed the Philliystran clamps.
was surprised to find at each  point where the a clamp was placed, the two
pieces of Philliystran were  each permanently indented in a ?U? shape, and
at the thinnest part of the  ?U? it measured only about 0.092 inches thick
(I used my  micrometer).

>         Can the Philliystran  really have a break strength of 1,200 pounds
(as they advertise) with the  type of deformation I have described?  Or, did
I do something  wrong?

Well, you could always do a  destruct test to find out.

        When the current generation  of Phillystran was introduced, the
only way to terminate them was with cable  clamps. The problem was that the
aramid fibers cold flowed with potential fatal  problems. Later they developed
the Preformed grips for Phillystran and that  problem was solved.

        There aren't any grips  available for the 1200 so you still have to
use clamps. Is the strength  compromised? Maybe. But if you're using 1200,
it's probably for a non-mission  critical application such as your dipole
support. If your 1200 Phillystran  breaks in your application, there would be
a lot more to worry about than your  dipole.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH