[TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 07:08:11 -0800
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 13:10:41 -0700
From: "VE6WZ_Steve" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>

I suppose my problem was that my tower is going up and down twice a day
about 5 days a week ( I always leave my tower nested) so the wire rope is
rolling over the sheaves all the time, and its was not obvious what the
difference is if it stops on a sheave.

My desire is not to be "nit-picky" here, but I own one of these and I don't
want a failure.
The practicality of stopping the tower up, and down, in a different spot all
the time is a bit challenging to say the least for me (twice a day, 5 days a
week).
I suppose I'm also somewhat confounded about why, if this were a problem, US
tower would build these units with limit switches on the winches that force
a stop in the same place all the time.

de steve ve6wz

###  The 'easy' method would be to hit the  'up'  switch..and run it to the top.
Then when it hits the upper limit switch, it stops.  Then manually  drop it say
1-2',
then stop it.   Same deal when lowering,  drop it fully nested... then raise it
1-2'.
If doing all this from inside the shack, the ust box  will tell you when it's
fully extended or
nested. [leds]. Then just hit the down switch for maybe a few secs.  You could
vary
the procedure a bit, and stop it somewhere between 89'..and say 86'.  And the
same
spread when nested.

Jim  VE7RF