Re: [TowerTalk] HDBX-48 figures for 90 mph zone

To: David Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDBX-48 figures for 90 mph zone
From: Tim Wininger <ky5rtim@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 20:02:36 -0600
Mike I can share some extreme experience with the HDBX-48:

While residing in KP4 for many years I had two HDBX-48. It wasn't until
hurricane Hugo that I experienced any problem. Both towers came down but
intact.
The failure was the base mounting stubs which simply folded over in 145mph.
I sold the towers
to fellow hams and never put the station back together. That was
On one tower was a 4el 15mtr CC and a 2el40mtr CC with the other tower
handling
a 4el CC(32ft bm) and 3el 10mtr CC.10ft mast with 8ft of separation between
antennas.
Also the prescribed "bolck o" concrete" base.

Nothing technical in this dribble just some observations about weak points
of tower.

GL with planning board,

Tim, KY5R ex KP4BZ