Re: [TowerTalk] Cost effectivel Tower height

To: "[TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cost effectivel Tower height
From: Andreas Hofmann <Andreas.Hofmann@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:13:02 +0000
Hi
I want to thank everyone on this alias to suggest running HFTA.  I spent and
couple of hours tonight and now realized  that this was a very valuable
exercise. Since I promised to report back some findings here it is:

I got a couple of directions with slopes. My slope to Europe especially is a
very even 300 feet drop off over the first 2500 feet.  This seems to be working
extremely well. To Europe as an example, I can get up to a 11 dbi gain at 4
degrees elevation angle on 40 with 2 el. Yagi at 55 feet.  On flat ground that
same antenna at that height would perform 15 dbi lower (-4).
If I switch to a 3 el yagi at 55 feet on 20 m, I seem to even max out at 16 dbi
at 3 degrees elevation. Almost too good to be true.

to go above 55 feet (size of a small tubular crank up mast).  Remember my goals
from below, no huge expenditure and good DX setup 40 and up.

Thanks
Andreas
KU7T