[TowerTalk] SWR Problem Balun or,, RESPONSE fr DAVIS RF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] SWR Problem Balun or,, RESPONSE fr DAVIS RF
From: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:23:15 -0500
Hi Tony,

I am a cable design engineer and also a ham for 50+ years.  I  designed
Bury-Flex Tm, thank you for using it. It is an extremely popular coax used also
by NASA, Lockheed Martin, etc.     What you are experiencing is most likely a
good dose of moisture in the coax cable, likely closer to the ant than the
xmtr, based on the time delay, but that is not certain (further depends in part
on how long the coax is in total.  However, before we jump to that conclusion,
what you need to do is to insert a dummy load at every possible point (start at
Xmtr) and see when you start getting the same sort of VSWR heat up condition.
 You may need to go right up to the connection on the ant, as the last point
that could show where the issue is (up to that point, from the last point
checked, as I'm sure you follow).
  It is almost impossible that the Bury-Flex Tm is at fault because the blend
of PE that I use for the outer jacket resists even submersion in water or
various chemicals.   The most obvious source for water ingress is at the
connectors or if an errant
cut has been made in the jacket.   We have never had any problems with this
cable in the over 12 years since inception.

 If you have any questions, or if I can help in any way, feel free.   Yes,
winter is the worst time for these things !!   HI

73,   Steve,    K1PEK

DAVIS RF Co.,  Div. of Orion Wire Co., Inc.

Wire, Cable, RF Connectors and wire aerial parts.

Rope, various blends cut to custom lengths

Cable assemblies, coax, audio, power, etc.

LMR, Heliax, Eupen
Commercial / Military

Custom Cable Design

tel:  978-369-1738    Please contact Steve Davis
www.DavisRF.com