[TowerTalk] Heliax Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heliax Connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:43:41 -0800
I've got about 250 ft of Andrew VXL5-50 (7/8-in, tubular center
conductor)  that I plan to use in a single run. I have several different
connectors for 7/8-in line, but none are specifically labeled for that
cable. The connectors I have are L5-NM, L5NF, L45N, and FLC78-50NM.
VXL5-50 is obsolete, and so are the connectors listed for it in the
older Andrew catalog, and the current Andrew catalog has no indication
(or at least I can't find any) of which of  their current 7/8-in cable
connectors might be suitable.

I know that there are subtle differences between these cables that are
not obvious on data sheets. For example, it isn't clear to me whether
some of these cables have a solid center, or if all are tubular, and
some cables that I suspect are tubular don't list and i.d. for the
center conductor (a clue that the DC resistance of two very similar
cable types are very different) .

I need advice on which (if any) of these connectors will fit this cable,
and if the answer is none, where can I find connectors that will?
N-female, or UHF male or female, would be my first choice, but I'll take
what I can get. :)

73, Jim K9YC