Re: [TowerTalk] How to Level a Crank-up?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to Level a Crank-up?
From: Lew Sayre <lew@dsl-only.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 12:11:46 -0800
Yo,
    I think you're done.  When I put up my various and sundry sizes of US
Towers I made sure that the base plate that sits
on the threaded J bars into the concrete was level by adjusting the big-ass
nuts that are under the plate. I could do this by not
grouting under the plate. I used a 4' bubble level along the various
horizontal planes on the base plate until the bubble was satisfied.
    There is some movement between each section on these crank-ups so as
long as the base is level, the tower firmly affixed to the base
and the antenna is mounted somewhere close to its center of balance then
it'll be reasonably straight/vertical  when it is elevated.
    I doubt that utilizing technology that will give you level to 0.0001 nm
will help your tower's survivability.
    What kills towers are big unanticipated winds, big falling trees,  lack
of maintenance and varying degrees of operator's stupidity.
     73 and I remain,
    Lew    W7EW