Re: [TowerTalk] How accurate are iPhone Compass apps?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How accurate are iPhone Compass apps?
From: Mike <nf4l@att.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 09:27:39 -0500
On 1/4/2012 7:10 PM, K8RI wrote:
> On 1/4/2012 3:55 PM, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:
>> Very interesting, Mike....the testing against known headings that I did on
>> MY iPhone was only AFTER updating it to iOS5 (which was a horrible mistake,
>> but that's a story for a different reflector).
> One part of that that is relevant here is those using an Apple Os is
> that Apple has said they make no attempt to stay compatible with any 3rd
> party apps.
> Remember that if you have an app you depend on.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

Nor should they. It would be like trying to dip the ocean dry with a teaspoon.
Apple
does have a set of guideline an app must meet before it's allowed in the App
Store.

Developers, whether for Apple or a Windows desktop or an IBM mainframe need to
make
sure the stuff they write is going to work on it's target platform.

That said, the Compass app comes with the iPhone, so I assume (yeah, I know)
it's an
Apple bit 'o software.

73, Mike NF4L