Re: [TowerTalk] How to get another 10' in height? Add a mast or add anot

To: xnewyorka@hotmail.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to get another 10' in height? Add a mast or add another s...
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 08:42:36 -0500 (EST)
Hi John, as already mentioned, the 80% guying is subject to change with
proper backup calculations.

Also, the forces on 72 ft guy spacing will be very similar with a large
antenna at 110 ft using a mast vs another tower section. Most of the added
load  is the antenna; not the last 10 ft of the supporting structure.

Also mentioned was the strength of a 45G section as much stronger than a
mast. That is not entirely correct as masts can be engineered for strength as
 well as tower sections. For example, a 3" OD, .25" wall 1020DOM steel mast
will  safely hold about 35 sq ft antenna load 10ft up with a 90 mph wind
speed. A 45G  section would be good for about 40 sq ft. If the mast was
upsized to .375" wall,  it would hold a 48 sq ft wind load.

The cost of 3" OD mast is not trivial. By the time galvanizing costs are
added, the cost of an additional 45G section will be a bargain. Even more $$
will needed for the custom steel mast to tower mounting brackets.

Since the tower is in the planning stage, now is the time to consider
making it 55G. The added capacity might prove useful later on.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/9/2012 10:23:29 P.M. Central Standard Time,