Re: [TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:21:24 -0500
On 1/17/2012 9:04 PM, Doug Ronald wrote:
>> I have seen heavy duty gin poles capable of lifting heavy tower sections,
> but I have never found a place that sold them.
>
>> Where are they commercially available?
> That was my first problem - the vendor no longer supplies them. Commercial
> TV tower suppliers have them, but the cost is out-of-sight.  I was on my own
> to fabricate the gin pole.
These gin poles are probably special order or custom made and will be
very expensive. If they are going to support 800# 20' sections they need
to be engineered to handle about twice that.
The gin pole is one of the most vulnerable and critical components used
during tower installation when done section by section.  It's probably
why you only find relatively small ones advertized.
That being the case they require engineering at least to the same extent
as the original tower.  Probably more as they have to support off center
loads
Normally, climbing these monsters (although at 20" between legs they are
little fellers)  is done on the outside with proper safety equipment
which also takes training.

This appears to be a job for a professional or construction crew as
something this massive is not a place to learn without expert
guidance/training.

You've ruled out the ability to get a crane on sight. (Expensive but the
cheapest of your options) so were it me (and it's not) I'd be looking at
or talking to construction outfits, or professional climbers.

The antenna
http://antennas.usantennaproducts.com/item/log-periodic-antennas/-lp-1005aa-25-kw-rotatable-hf-log-periodic-antenna/lp-1005aa

weighs over one ton.  To quote, "Model /T/-/3002FA/: Heavy duty dual 80
foot /tower/ guyed structure and a 100 foot rotating mast."

The photo shows the two towers mounted side by side with enough
clearance for the 100 foot rotating mast (tower sections) so they are
mounted close.
After looking at the photos I'd say this is a major, construction
project.  I did not find the address for the photo of your tower sections.

Climbing and particularly erecting heavy towers is dangerous even for
those who do it as a profession.
Safety is paramount!

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)