Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup Tower for DB-36

To: "Gary Saboe" <gerald@saboe.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup Tower for DB-36
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:58:29 -0800
Gary Saboe wrote:
> John, your same question was asked about a year ago on this list regarding
> what tower to use for a DB-36.  I have an UST HDX-772MDPL (spec: max load
> 700lbs, 70sq ft @ 70mph) with a SteppIR MonstIR and F12 Sigma-280 Magnum
> mounted, so yes UST does have additional special order towers
> available--just not listed in their catalog or on their website. Mine is
> based on their HDX-5106 design, minus the top two sections.  Call UST and
> talk with them regarding your needs.
>
> Gary NØGS

I have a MonstIR on my HDX-5106.  I crank it up to 70 feet for general
operating.  For contests (weather permitting) or rare DXpeditions I
crank it all the way up.  At 70 feet, it has gone through some
terrible storms, with the MonstIR flailing around wildly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the other no-climb solutions:
the foldover Rohn 45, recently back on the market or the various
Hazer configurations.  On the foldover, some initial climbing or
manlift activity may be necessary, but after that, you never climb
to work on the antenna.  With the Hazer, you tilt up the tower using
a falling derrick arrangement, so no climbing or man lift is ever
involved.  Both towers are guyed, so high wind load rating is easy
to get.  The Hazer eliminates the need for a tilt plate as well.
With the foldover, you might also get by without a tilt plate.
I also have a SteppIR on a 50 foot Hazer aluminum tower.

Rick N6RK